Pages

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

I made a pencil case!

I think it turned out rather well.
A couple of weeks ago I wanted another pencil case to cary writing utensils and whatnot around in my purse. It's a large-ish purse, and things can get lost in it. It is also an awesome purse, and I don't want it getting marked up by my pens and pencils and whatnot. Hence, the search for a new pencil case began! 

Here is my rubric for grading potential cases:
Size: small case > large case
Shape: square = round > flat
Pattern: cute > ugly

My etsy search helped me figure out exactly what I wanted. 
These two cases earned the highest grades:
I found great tutorials for both of these designs too!

The boxy pencil case tutorial can be found here and the round pencil case tutorial is here
I ended up going with the boxy design because it required less detail work (I am new at this, after all) and required buying one thing less. So I picked out my fabrics last night while I was sorting everything and putting together my scrap packs.

All in all, it took me about an hour and a half to make from start to finish.  I got to work with interfacing for the first time, I learned what a zipper foot for a sewing machine is, and I successfully slip stitched! Except for one flaw, it turned out just the way it was supposed to.

the right end

the wrong end
Oops.

2 comments:

  1. Hooray! This made me think of the following:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsLq9rnnTCM

    You can stop listening after the first line unless you enjoy railing against love songs. But if that's your bag, then by all means, stick around for the duration.

    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally managed to watch the video.
    Awesome.

    ReplyDelete